Not only do we have a wonderful and diverse inventory of new and antique instruments, we have the expertise and experience to customize your relationship with your treasured musical tool. Here are just a few ways:
- Chinrests - Just like fingerprints, everyone's jaw bone, neck length, etc is different. While one of our several standard chinrests we keep in stock may work great for you, we have the ability to make custom chinrests, or make adaptations to your existing one to suit your current needs. Having a comfortable chinrest fit is a key part of your playing posture.
- Endpins - Many cellists don't realize they have options when it comes to endpins. They are made from many types of materials, such as Carbon Fiber, Steel, Titanium and other allows; they can be different diameters, hollow or solid. Do you like a bit of flex when you play, or do you need an endpin that accommodates your very long legs? Many options...
- Neck Shape - There are certain measurements considered "standard" when it comes to viola and violin necks - but your hand may not be standard. Neck thickness and shapes can sometimes be altered on instruments. Occasionally, other considerations, such as a carbon fiber rods must be installed in the neck before adjustments can be made.
- Tonal shaping through set up adjustments and restoration - This is where the "mystical" meets the "pragmatist". For a reasonable hourly rate, we will work with you and your instrument to make adjustments and suggestions for changes to dial in the exact sound you are looking for in your instrument. It may be as simple as an adjustment to your tailgut, or a complicated multi-step process involving changes to accessories and even structural changes (ie. an antique needing restoration). For a healthy and stable instrument, such as the ones we represent, these adjustments are usually very straight forward to achieve.
- Playability issues - We work hard to maintain a very high standard of consistent playability measurements on every instrument we sell. Much of this revolves around the shape of the neck, fingerboard, nut, bridge, etc. That being said, you may have a special request/requirement. We are happy to collaborate with you to find the right "feel" when you play your valuable instrument.